That first day in "Real Office"

One of my friends has joined his office today,his first day in a "real life" office. Congratulations Abhishek.. It Reminds me my first day in my office and i would be more than happy to share things with you guys.
Here it goes.

first day in a ‘real life’ office and ‘proper’ job was really daunting for me, what do I wear? Do I ask to go to lunch? Do I really know what I’m doing?
I was on my way, still stressing about all the things I wanted to know.

Although I had already been to the offices while i was a kid and playing office office with my friends., I wondered what it would actually be like now to be the one sitting on a desk doing ‘real’ work!
I arrived at reception and wasn’t even sure what to say - my mind had gone blank and all I could remember “it’s my first day.”

I was then shown to my desk, walking through the open plan office I had images the night before of everyone turning round and glaring, but it was the complete opposite everyone was really friendly and so welcoming!

I was still very nervous and one by one people were approaching me saying “welcome” “how’s your day going.” With everyone being so kind I still managed to say “welcome” back to someone when they welcomed me instead of saying hello (I felt myself go scarlet).

I was given a brief introduction to how the computers worked, the emails etc as if they don't know that i am a computer engineering graduate. and then the real worked started, I was given my email address. I hadn’t even been there an hour but my inbox had already reached 50+ emails! After briefly reading through them I was asked to write some blog posts, I struggled with them a lot more than I thought I would. Writing something that is engaging and would actually capture a reader’s attention was very different from the cozy and homey blog post i  was used to write.
Not only was it my first day I had my first ever meeting and it was quite the experience, I sat there and it was a lot less scary than I thought. Although I did not suggest anything but I believe it was because deep down I was still overwhelmed with everything!

I took lunch when I wanted which of course was another new experience for me and ended up eating at my desk. I also realised that most people had boxes of unusual teas on their desks so I also went out that lunch and bought some ‘unusual’ tea bags.

I have now been in the TOI  team as a trainee for nearly three weeks and I have really settled in, although not being here long as a trainee  I have learnt so much from the simplest things like using outlook properly to creating engaging social media......................

Comments

You may also LIKE these :)

I am your Diary

Fictions- Can touch your heart -1

Man of her DREAMS - 1